- He sees Vyasa, an ascetic meditating. Vyasa has composed a poem, and he needs a scribe.
- Ganesha arrives and agrees to be Vyasa's scribe. Vyasa tells the story of the birth of Satyavati and why she smelled like a fish. She makes love with a wandering sage; he removes the fish smell. Vyasa is their son.
- Amba tells Bhishma that she is secretly betrothed to King Salva. He releases her to join him. King Salva rejects Amba, even though she insists Bhishma has not touched her.
- Pandu becomes king.
- Dhritarashtra marries Gandhari. When she finds out he is blind, so she veils her eyes.
- Pandu takes her in his arms and dies.
- Madri and Kunti argue about who will join him on the funeral pyre. Madri tells Kunti to be a mother to her children.
Peter Brook's Mahabharata 1. The Beginnings. http://iereadingguides.blogspot.com/2014/09/peter-brooks-mahabharata-1-beginnings.html